Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Last Minute Dinner

Yesterday was a good day. It was warm without being hot (yet!) and I even managed - Gasp! - to get some cleaning done. A very minute amount as I only managed to wash the dishes, clean the two upstairs bathrooms and re-organize the DVDs. But still, for me, any amount of cleaning - no matter how small - is a triumph!

The Hub had the day off too, but unfortunately we barely spent any time together. He spent the morning on the golf course, then came home and napped quite loudly on the sofa for a couple of hours. I finally shook him awake around six to remind him he'd promised me to clean out the garage - he was not happy (he's always grouchy after a nap), so I escaped to the street to hang out with the neighbors.

By the time he decided he was hungry (and done cleaning the garage and chatting with the neighbors), it was eight-thirty and I wanted something quick and easy. I gave him the option of boxed soy-tacos or black bean quesadillas with corn. He chose the quesadillas perfectly predictably - he thinks he doesn't like soy (it tastes great to me!). The quesadillas are so very fast and easy to prepare and also very delicious. If you want, you can totally leave out all of the spices I add, because the salsa does add a good amount of flavor on its own, I just personally always like a TON of spice. You could also add about a tablespoon of taco seasoning instead. I prefer to pan fry them myself, but if you so desire (say, if you were gonna make a bunch) you can place the prepared quesadillas on a baking sheet and toast them in a 375* oven for about 10-15 short minutes.


Black Bean Quesadillas
1 can black beans
1 cup prepared salsa
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon each cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and oregano.
dash cayenne pepper
dash of salt if needed (depends how salty your salsa and beans are)
6 10" tortillas
grated cheese - I prefer sharp cheddar, but Monterrey jack is good too... or whatever you like
oil or butter for greasing the pan

Dump the black beans into a bowl and warm in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Using your hands (or a fork - not as fun!) mash up the beans. Add the salsa and spices and stir to combine - always taste for seasoning!

Oil/butter a skillet and put over medium heat. When hot, add a tortilla swishing it around to make sure it's coated in the oil/butter. Sprinkle with a good amount of cheese and let it melt a little bit, then add a good dollop or two of bean mixture and spread it around about 3/4" from the edge. Sprinkle with more cheese and top with another tortilla. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side, being very cautious as you flip. When toasty and melty, cut into wedges and serve with sour cream and more salsa. Yum!

Makes 3 10" quesadillas.

2 comments:

  1. MMM, these sound yummy!!! I think am going to make them tonight, C and C will love them!

    ReplyDelete